Tuesday, April 21, 2009

RECIPE : Charter Yacht Catamaran AMARYLLIS

We asked a few of our favorite charter yachts to share a couple of their favorite recipes whether it be an appetizer, main dish, or cocktail. Here's one from Laura, owner-operator of the charter yacht Catamaran AMARYLLIS.

Sheila and Bob,

Enjoy a sailing vacation in the Virgin aboard the catamaran AMARYLLIS. Contact ParadiseConnections.comHere's a story for you... Some good friends of ours who also run a charter boat asked if I would cook for a charter as the wife/cook had plans to be off island that week. I agreed. There were only two guests, I had known the captain for years. How hard could it be!

Well, it turned out to be my most difficult week on charter! I didn't know the galley, it wasn't my menu, I didn't have my usual arsenal of ingredients and spices, and it seemed I spent all my time searching for recipes, utensils, pots & pans and trying to figure out which ingredients were in which refrigerator!

To compound things, the two guests (who were otherwise absolutely charming and delightful) had totally opposite diets so the menu plan was out the window and I was treated as a personal chef asked to prepare two different meals for breakfast and lunch. We would agree upon one dinner!

Every suggestion I made (steak, lobster, tuna, salmon) would be met with "What else do you have?" I was scrambling and losing my confidence as a cook. Towards the end of week they asked if would prepare a curry for dinner. The captain said there was some Pataks curry paste on board and they said that would be lovely. I found an ancient jar of Pataks in the back of a cupboard with about 1 tablespoon left and improvised from there.

The results were delicious, the guests loved it, the captain asked for the recipe, and my faith in myself as a charter cook was restored!

Chicken Curry with Butternut Squash

1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp or more Pataks Madras Curry
Boneless chicken breast or tenders
1 can chick peas
1/4 to 1/2 can coconut milk
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

  • Brown chicken and set aside.
  • Add a bit of oil to skillet and cook onion until until it starts to brown.
  • Add chopped tomato and stir to make it a bit saucy.
  • Add Pataks paste and stir.
  • Add cubed butternut squash and liquid from can of chick peas.
  • Cover and let cook until butternut squash is tender.
  • Add chick peas.
  • Cut chicken into small pieces and add to skillet.
  • Heat everything and add coconut milk. This will make a rich gravy.
  • Stir in fresh cilantro and serve with rice (I like brown basmati).
This recipe is very versatile. You can use raw cashews instead of chick peas to make it fancier. You can use yams instead of squash and pair it with string beans for color. You can leave out the chicken for vegetarians.

This was so easy and good I stocked up on Pataks and we make this regularly when we are off charter.

Regards,
Laura Masterson
AMARYLLIS
Catamaran Amaryllis - Crewed yacht charters Virgin Islands sailing vacations. Contact ParadiseConnections.com
Charter yacht Catamaran Amaryllis Caribbean crewed yacht charter sailing vacations in the Virgin Islands

Amaryllis is a 45-foot Privilege catamaran owned and operated by Bruce & Laura Masterson. Amaryllis is fully air conditioned and accommodates six guests in three cabins. Nice boat and super people!

Looking forward to your inquiries!