Saturday, May 09, 2009

Promenade crew - Rich & Lisa UPDATE

Back on April 1st (no it really wasn't an April Fools) we posted that Rich and Lisa were returning as crew for Promenade this summer... Well, unfortunately that isn't going to happen :(

In the latter part of April, Kerry shared an email she'd received from Lisa with us... Here's the gist of it:

"...Rich went kite surfing today, had a great old time, till he got hit by a gust, hurled in the air and landed rather badly. I took him to hospital and he has broke his knee, fractured the entire bottom bit, from top of knee down! He is scheduled for surgery in the morning. I have just left him at the hospital, we have just arrived at auckland, I now have to sort out taking van and everything back, but he is going to be potentially non weight bearing for 3 months and it could take up to 12 months till he is properly better."

Here's today's update from Kerry:

"And for those who want an update on Richies knee, they are still in Auckland and I believe flying back to England in another week or so, where, as you can probably tell by the xray, he will have a long recuperation, and they have warned that a year from now he will have to have the pins taken out so it will make it easier to do a knee replacement in the future! Gulp! I am not seeing him climbing around boats for quite awhile with that, so I am busy trying to suck up to my crew members so THEY stay and work (of course, they love me, so I hope I don't have to work too hard at that!) Best of luck Richard..."

We wish you a speedy recovery Richard. We're thinking of you, too, Lisa. Hang in there!